About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving - Variations on a Cranberry Theme

Ever hear NPR Radio around Thanksgiving and catch the classic cranberry sauce from Susan Stanberg? Cranberry sauce is a BIG deal around the thanksgiving spread - some like the store-bought jelly, while others insist on genuine concoctions prepared from the fresh berry. Just like stuffings - one with sausage, one without - both cranberry sauce variations are often served - just to be safe.

I have always loved the canned jelly, but today I experienced the best fresh cranberry sauce I have ever had. And I was not alone in my opinion.

My brother and sister in law prepared a sweet but just-tart sauce from fresh cranberries and orange flavors. This is the big winner this year in my opinion, and has made me a convert to fresh cranberry sauce forever!

Fresh Cranberry Sauce
à l'Orange
1 12-oz bag fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 Tbsp orange liquor
1 tsp orange zest

Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a pot. Cook the cranberries for about 10-15 minutes until the cranberries pop and the sauce thickens. Cool a bit and stir in the liquor and the zest. Pour into serving bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment