About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Sunday, June 19, 2016

Pulled Pork Nachos

Here's a great thing to make the father in your life, for father's day.  If you can't get some prepared pulled pork fast enough, just sauté up some ground pork or ground beef and kick it up with some cumin, garlic and chili powder.  You'll be fine.
1 14 oz bag favorite tortilla chips (I used Trader Joe’s Flax tortillas)
12 oz cooked pulled pork (I used Trader Joe’s), warm
1/2 cup pico de gallo fresh salsa
1 can black beans in spicy sauce
2/3 lb grated Mexican mix cheese
Chopped chives if desired

Preheat oven to 450F. Lay half the chips on the base of a 13x9-inch casserole. Top with half the cheese, pulled pork, black beans and salsa.
Repeat layers with remaining chips,
and remaining ingredients, and garnish with chives.

Bake in oven until cheese is melted and slightly browned. You can finish in the broiler if you want, but watch carefully as the cheese will burn quickly. Serve immediately.

Serve with sour cream and guacamole.  Serves 4 as an appetizer.

Cook’s Note: I love the prepared pull pork from Trader Joe’s, and typically only buy it when I’m traveling and renting an Air BNB - so convenient. If you have the time and you are home, try cooking your pork in a slow cooker during the day and use it for nachos at night. That’s thinking ahead.

When cooking in a week-long rental you have to be careful of your ingredients - especially if you are flying and not driving. I often scatter pickled jalapeño slices about my nachos, but I didn’t want to waste the remains of the jar, and the salsa we got was sooo hot, I decided against jalapeños this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment