About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Sunday, April 22, 2012

Crudité of Beet and Carrot

Many people ask why the French have such a low relative rate of heart disease compared to Americans. Not being an epidemiologist, I don't have the answer. But I suspect it might have something to do with the amount the French walk, the variety and limited portions of their food, and - I don't know - but maybe love and wine... Who knows?

One thing I do know that makes me feel well when visiting France, is their raw vegetable salads, or crudité. My French cousins tell me they are essential to good health, and I believe them.1 fresh beet, peeled and grated
2 carrots, peeled and grated
palmful parsley, minced
juice and zest of 1 lime
1 large or 2 small green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed and minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/8 tsp cumin
dash salt and freshly ground pepper

Mix all ingredients together and allow to marinate for at least 15-20 minutes.Serve as crudité or as a topping for a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment