About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Sunday, April 18, 2010

Le Vrai Mayonnaise

My cousin Brigitte's husband Pascal is a Gourmand from Toulouse, France. When visiting us during the Iceland volcanic eruption, he taught me how to make "le vrai mayonnaise" from scratch - real mayonnaise! In many recipes I posted here I indicate "real mayonnaise' to refer to good store-bought mayonnaise, at least at good as Hellman's brand. But making mayonnaise with the excellent French Dijon, which Brigitte and Pascal brought us as a gift, and with fresh lemon - that's real. Now I know "real mayonnaise" and may never turn back!

It was a pleasure to learn from such a pro, but especially rewarding as I whisked too quickly and started to curdle the mayonnaise... Pascal immediately took control, whisked more gently, and without any hot water or more egg yolk, rescued the mayonnaise. So not only did I learn how to make mayonnaise from scratch - I watched a pro rescue my botch job. As with Bearnaise sauce - this is an important lesson to learn!

Deep in our hearts we hoped the volcanic ash would keep them from leaving so we could visit and cook another week - alas they were just able to escape under the ash through Madrid, Spain - Bon Voyage!

I have to practice his recipe - so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment