About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Friday, September 30, 2016

Lamb Chops with Sherry Balsamic Glaze

I'm cooking my way through my cookbook collection, catching inspiration page to page.  What first inspired this dish was the beautiful loin lamb chops I found at the market.  Then I saw how chops were prepared with prosciutto in The Williams Sonoma Cookbook, a classic cook's resource.  And I took it from there.
1 cup beef stock
1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar

8 lamb loin chops

1 shallot
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, minced
1 oz prosciutto, finely diced (about 1/4 cup)
2 anchovies, minced
1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup cream sherry
1 Tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 150F and place a rimmed baking sheet in oven. Heat the stock and vinegar in a small pan, and reduce volume in half.

Meanwhile, brown the lamb chops in a dash of olive oil in a large skillet, about 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare (according to Mark Bittman, 135F registering on an instant read thermometer, not touching bone).
Remove chops from pan and keep warm in the oven.  Add the shallots, garlic, tomatoes prosciutto, anchovies and red pepper flakes to the skillet along with a dash more olive oil.
Sauté the aromatics for about 5-7 minutes, until the shallots are very well softened.
Add the reduced beef stock and vinegar and the sherry.  Bring to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes to allow the alcohol to evaporate.  Swirl in the butter.
Plate some sauce on each of four plates. Top sauce with 2 chops. Garnish with fresh rosemary or parsley.

Serves 4.

Cook's Note:  Ispiration:  Lamb Chops with Balsamic Sauce, The Williams Sonoma Cookbook, 2008, p. 283

I tried their sauce approach but found it far too vinegary, so I cut that back significantly, but added sherry.  I didn't have veal demi-glaze so I used the stock reduction approach.  I also used shallot and sun dried tomatoes, and an anchovy for deep umami flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment