About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Sunday, September 18, 2016

Vindaloo Infused Lamb Kebabs

When I hear Vindaloo, I tend to pucker and cringe.  I love hot food, but I like heat only when it is accompanied by real flavor.  I am not a fan of hot spice for its own sake.

Here I complement hot vindaloo spices (which I received from a friend from Penzye's) with other flavors to form a masala that is not too hot, but definitely flavorful!  Finally, I round out the flavor with a coconut milk marinade.  Heat, flavor, depth - outstanding.
3 cloves garlic
palmful fresh mint
1/2-inch fresh ginger, peeled and quartered
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp Vindaloo masala (or favorite masala or curry mix) - I used Penzye’s Vindaloo spice mix

1-1/2 to 2 lbs boneless leg of lamb cut into 24 1-inch pieces
1 cup coconut milk (I use Trader Joe’s coconut cream - use something rich, not low fat)
1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 orange pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces

Place garlic, mint ginger and pepper flakes in a small food processor. Pulse to mince.
Add minced mint mixture to lamb cubes in a medium bowl. Add cumin, turmeric and vindaloo masala. Salt and pepper to taste.
Add the coconut milk and mix well. Allow to marinate for at least an hour, or better, overnight in the refrigerator.
When ready to cook, return lamb to room temperature and heat the grill to high.

Thread the lamb on skewers alternating with the peppers. Grill for about 10-12 minutes total - turning at least 3-4 times to brown each side.

Serve with rice. Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment