About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Sunday, March 27, 2016

Rosted Duck Farfalle Sportello

During a recent visit to Boston, our son took us to Sportello on Congress street, in the rapidly changing seaport district. The kitchen is integrated into the dining area almost like an upscale diner as you watch the chefs prepare dishes from your counter seats.  They excel in pasta dishes - I had rigatoni with guanciale (a highly seasoned and delicious Italian cured meat) and our son had a pasta with braised rabbit and green olives.  Both dishes were constructed in skillets from previously prepared ingredients including rich stocks and fresh herbs.  Both and were inspirational enough for me to go home and reverse engineer the basic approach.

I decided to use duck, and combined with several different combos of veggies.  I prepared a rich duck stock which I used to prepare a sauce base for the dishes.
1 duck

4 oz small farfalle or other pasta
5 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup canned artichoke hearts, drained (not marinated)
2 Tbsp frozen peas
2 slices bacon, diced
1/3 lb roasted duck meat, sliced
1 cup duck or chicken stock
2 Tbsp butter at room temperature

palmful fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 lemon, sliced

Roast your duck. I rotisseried my duck for 1-1/2 hour in a George Foreman rotisserie after tying it up with butcher string.
Another time, I first boiled the duck for 20 minutes in a large pot of water, and then tied it up and rotisseried it for an hour. Both came out about the same and just delicious. I simply seasoned with coarse salt, black pepper and a dash or herbs de Provence. I let the duck cool for about 15 minutes, and then carved the duck.
I reserved the carcasses and made a fantastic duck stock which I used the second time I made this dish.

If you don’t have a rotisserie, just roast your duck in the oven at 375F in a baking pan for about 2 hours, or until nicely browned. Some people score the duck skin to allow fat to flow out, but I don’t find that necessary. Whatever you do, separate and reserve (freeze) the duck fat for flavoring other dishes. I freeze the carved duck pieces for use in dished later.

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Season it well with salt. Cook the pasta for 7-9 minutes, just until al dente and drain. Toss with a dash of olive oil and set aside.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large non-stick skillet just until browned. Turn out to a paper towel and wipe the pan of any residual bacon fat. Heat a dash of duck fat in the non-stick skillet. Add the mushrooms, and cook on high until they release what water they will. Allow them to brown just a bit. Add the artichokes and peas and return the bacon to the pan.
Add the duck and just heat through.  Now add the broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the butter to thicken and then add the pasta. Heat through, stir and serve in bowls. Garnish with parsley and serve with lemons.

Serves 2.

Cook’s Note: Another time I used mushrooms, broccoli, capers and red pepper flakes. Choose your favorite veggies, and always have carved roasted duck pieces in your freezer at the ready!





And before you reserve your rotisseried duck for all these wonderful dishes, of course you have to taste it.  Exquisite.

No comments:

Post a Comment