About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Sunday, October 30, 2011

Baked Orange Cauliflower

I passed a beautiful farm stand in southeastern Pennsylvania on my way home, and I just had to stop in to see what was on the shelves. Gorgeous locally grown vegetables and hand made pies, local cheeses and honey. I was struck by beautiful cauliflower heads; cream, purple and orange. Crisp, firm and bordered by stiff, green leaves. Being around Halloween, I chose the orange one, never having tasted one that color. It was sweet and fresh, no hint of cabbage at all. I cooked it whole, using an approach I learned years ago from an old colleague, Chet and his wife Laura. They called it Frosted Cauliflower.

1 medium head cauliflower
1/2 cup good real mayonnaise
1/2 cup finely grated herbed cheddar cheese
dash red pepper flakes
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 350F. Paint cauliflower head with mayonnaise and top with cheese and red pepper flakes. Salt and pepper generously to taste. Place cauliflower head in a Dutch Oven or large oven-going pot with lid. Add water and bake 20 minutes covered. Uncover and bake another 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment