About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Choucroutte of Chicken and Golden Acorn Squash

Dear Choucroutte, How I love thee.   Let me count the ways.

I love crunchy, fresh sauerkraut (not canned!), but I rinse it and often cook with a bit of white wine to mellow it, as they do in France. I love green Cerignola olives, which are mild whole green olives (normally sold with pits).  Unlike the bottled green stuffed olive, which is generally too briney, this is a mild, firm olive - so satisfying and light. Now is the season for winter squash and I love every kind I can get my hands on.  I do not peel the acorn squash as you can eat the skin, but many still pull off the skin on the plate.  I love thinly-slice Yukon gold and sweet potatoes simmered in a briney, winey chickeny broth - so soft and tender.

Oh and I love sausage.  So there.


1 large sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
2 large Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
1 lb package fresh sauerkraut, rinsed well and drained
8 pieces chicken on the bone, your choice of cuts
1 lb chicken and apple sausage, or sausage of your choice
1 golden (or green) acorn squash, cleaned and sliced
1/4 cup good green olives
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp Herbes de Provence

Preheat oven to 375F.  Oil a large baking dish.  Layer the potato slices on the bottom.  Salt and pepper generously.  Scatter the leaks and then the sauerkraut on top.  Place chicken pieces  on top of kraut.  Top with acorn squash and scatter with sausages and olives. Pour wine about the dish.  Season with herbs, salt and pepper.  Bake 1 1/2-2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment