About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Lamb Souvlaki

For me, lamb is a tradition for Easter. My brother-in-law, Tommy and I would roast up a leg every Easter, studded with garlic and dressed with rosemary (see earlier Easter blog entries below). But with kids in school and a new interstate job relocation, no time for a leg of lamb roast this year. No problem - kebabs with boneless lamb is a great second choice. Very simple and quick to prepare, this is still an elegant and festive enough treat, even for guests.

I renamed this Lamb Souvlaki because after posting, I was on a recent trip to Greece, and I had this exact dish! I was so surprised, and satisfied when I ordered Lamb Souvlaki to get a plate with gorgeous cubes of lamb, separated by yellow pepper, marinated with fresh herbs, and served with lemon on the side. I realized the kebabs I made several weeks before were actually souvlaki.
2 lbs boneless lamb, cubed
1 yellow pepper, diced into ½-inch pieces

Marinade:
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup dry white wine
1 tsp Kosher salt
lots of fresh ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh lavender or other early spring herb, minced
1 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
Jest of one orange

Mix the marinade and toss with the lamb. Allow to marinate at least an hour, or even better, all day in the refrigerator. Light the grill. Skewer the lamb alternating with the peppers. Grill for about 2 minutes on each of four sides. Serve with couscous and fresh lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment