About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Thursday, July 7, 2016

Cajun Fried Rice

I always feel there is something asian about fried rice - I was brought up chowing down on roast pork fried rice from our local Chinese take-out, and never looked back.  I make it all the time - one of my staples.  But I vary it a lot as I have traveled, and found variations like those native to New Orleans.

The cajun trinity of celery, onion and green pepper are complemented here with a good dose of cabbage, because I like LOTS of veggies in my fried rice (and anyway, asians would approve, I think).  And Worcestershire sauce - so characteristic of Cajun cuisine - understudies for soy sauce.  Cajun andouille sausage of course takes center stage, allowing pork a night off.

Don't ask what pork and soy sauce are doing together tonight...  But in my opinion, the chop sticks still should usher in the show.
1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 orange pepper, diced
1/2 small cabbage, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
dash red pepper flakes
8-inches (2 links) smoked cajun andouille sausage, diced
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
favorite hot sauce
2 green onions, sliced

1 cup white or brown rice

Cook rice according to package directions. When done, fluff gently with a fork. Turn rice out into a sheet pan and allow rice to cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, sauté the veggies together in a late skillet in a dash of canola oil. Add garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes and allow to cook another few minutes until garlic is fragrant.
Allow the veggies to brown up a bit to caramelize, but maintain a crisp-tender structure. While the veggie brown, add the sausage to another skillet with a dash canola oil and brown sausage up nicely.

Add sausage to veggies. Then add rice to veggie mixture and toss gently.
Add the worcestershire sauce and dashes of hot sauce to taste.

Serve on plates garnished with green onion and black toasted sesame seeds if desired.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment