About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Saturday, February 9, 2013

Grouper with Zucchini Crustini and Sage Crisps

I suspect this could only happen in Italy.  
As we sit here in the Mid-Atlantics, just having dodged the bullet of the largest snowstorm perhaps of the century, I look outside to bare streets and deep blue sky.  But still cold.  And my thoughts go back to summer in Italy. 

Over three days in beautiful Riva del Garda, we enjoyed wonderful meals -  breakfast, lunch and dinner.  What a treat it is to have business in Italy.
When it came time to leave, I drove the famous James Bond road hugging the lake, shooting through tunnels, and weaved my way back to Milan.  Unfortunately, only to stay at an airport hotel before my flight back stateside in the morning.

It was getting late and looking at the functional airport hotel lobby, I was cringing at what the dinner options might have to be - if there even were dinner options.

But this was Italy.  And I was pleased to see a little courtyard out back, where I could sit down for a meal.  The menu looked wonderful but I remained skeptical - that is until I took my first bite of my Sea Bream with Zucchini Crustini.

Fresh, light fish fillets, bedded under zucchini ribbons and broiled breadcrumbs, melted in my mouth with each simple, fresh bite. Served among sautéed cherry tomatoes with Balsamic vinegar and a simple backdrop of boiled potatoes, this was the freshest, most enjoyable meal I had had in quite some time, including my previous three days in Italy.

Get this - my best meal in Italy was at the airport hotel. 

But that's Italy.  It's really hard to find a bad meal, and you'll find a fantastic meal at the most surprising, unexpected places.

1 rounded tbsp pistachio nuts, about 15
2 large cloves garlic
1/2 inch fresh ginger
1 Tbsp golden raisins
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs

1 lb fish fillets such as Grouper, Snapper, Halibut
4 ribbons of zucchini (see cook's note)
Zest of 1 lemon
8 fresh sage leaves
crumbled Feta cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 375F.  In a small food processor, pulse together the nuts, garlic, ginger and raisins, just until grainy.  Toss in the bread crumbs and pulse together just to mix.

Lay the fish fillets on an oiled baking pan.  Lay two to three zucchini ribbons on each fillet, folding ends under on one end to fit the fish.  Top each fillet with one quarter of the bread crumbs. Spray crumbs with oil, just to moisten.
Bake fish 10-12 minutes, or until just cooked through and crumbs browned.  Meanwhile, fry the sage leaves in a few tablespoons of canola oil to crisp them up, flipping once with tongs.  Plate fillets, top with zest and sage, and Feta if using.  Serve with lemon.  Serves 4.

Cook's note: Zucchini ribbons are easy to make using a vegetable peeler on a medium zucchini.  You can use many white fish fillets in this recipe.  I've used Grouper, Tilapia and Cod.

No comments:

Post a Comment