About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Fanny’s Lamb and Spinach Casserole

Cooking from the family archives

I'm cooking my way through my late mother in law's shoebox of recipes which I inherited, and I'm finding lots of comfort food.  Fanny was very health conscious and a great cook; a great combo to make an interesting recipe shoe box.
1 large onion, sliced
1 4-oz can mushrooms pieces, drained
1 lb ground lamb
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander

2 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
5 oz fresh baby spinach leaves, lightly chopped
2 eggs
1-1/2 cup Swiss cheese, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 350F. Brown the onions and mushrooms in a skillet with a dash of olive oil.
Salt and pepper to taste. After about 8-10 minutes, add the lamb and brown well - about another 8-10 minutes. Stir in the cumin and coriander and cook another minute.

Add the flour to the mixture and cook 2-3 minutes. Then add the milk and bring to a gentle boil. Add the spinach and simmer mixture until the spinach just wilts a bit and the the sauce thickens.
Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl. Add about 1 cup of the spinach mixture to the eggs, stirring, to temper the eggs. Now fold in the egg mixture into the spinach mixture off the heat.

Oil a medium (13x9-inch) casserole and tip the spinach mixture into the casserole. Top with the cheese.
Bake covered for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes or so to brown.

Serves 4-6.

Cook's Note:  I took some liberties and switched the beef to lamb.  I also included a bit of roux for thickening.  Having discussed cooking and recipes for so long with Fanny, I'm confident she would approve 😎




No comments:

Post a Comment