About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Next Gen Vinaigrette Erique

Making a really, really good vinaigrette has been a craft in my and my in-law family for generations.  My late uncle, Jeannot and Father-in-law, Bernard, were both geniuses at the vinaigrette.

I have to say my siblings along with my sisters and brothers in-law do really now carry on the tradition as I strive to as well.  In our family cookbook "Cuisine Encore" I published my go-to vinaigrette - a basic version taught to me by my French mother, Monique.  It's great, yet I have been looking for something slightly more modern and upbeat.  So I merged Asian rice vinegar into the mix along with fresh (not powdered) garlic and mustard, and toned down the salt.

I now have what I think is an even better basic vinaigrette, today.
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1 generous tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup olive oil
lots ground fresh pepper
1 tsp dried dill
2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed through a garlic press

Whisk the vinegars, mustard and salt in a bowl. I also vigorously (and I mean vigorously) shake them together in a salad dressing bottle.

Add the remaining ingredients and whisk together well to form an emulsion.

RIFF:  Add 2 tsp grated horseradish and substitute dill for tarragon

Cook's Note:  I like grainy Dijon, but it does not seem to form as good an emulsion, so I sometimes use half and half regular:grainly and it seems to work well.  Of course it all depends on the formulation of the mustard you use.

No comments:

Post a Comment