About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Sunday, October 9, 2011

Croque Madam

I continue my quest of cooking recipes we had in France this summer. OK, staying on the toaster oven theme, I attack the Croque Madam - basically Croque Monsieur (open-faced grilled ham and cheese), with a fried egg on top. Those French - they'll put an egg on anything!

My version:

Ordered in a cafe in Paris:4 slices bread
4 eggs
4 oz cheese (Gruyere or Swiss is classic, and I also like horseradish Cheddar)
4 thin slices low-salt ham
Dijon mustard
fresh parsley
paprika

Preheat the toaster oven to 450F (Pizza setting). Very lightly spread just a bit of mustard on the bread. Top each slice with ham, and equally distribute the cheese and parsley on top of the ham. Sprinkle each slice with a dash or paprika. Bake for about 8 minutes, until bubbly and beginning to brown.

Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter and just a bit of olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Fry the eggs to desired doneness. Place one egg on each slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment