About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Carolina Beef Flat Ribs

This is a more tangy BBQ sauce, reminiscent of Carolina Southern mustard BBQ sauces, rather than deep rich smokey red Texan sauces.  This is great with ribs, pork or whatever you are grilling, especially lighter pieces.
A Carolina BBQ Sauce:
1/3 cup ketchup
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil

2 racks beef back flat ribs, about 3-4 lb

Blend BBQ sauce ingredients together in a small food processor.
Heat grill to high. Grill ribs for about 10-15 minutes, turning several times. Mind the ribs because the fat can flame up, and you want to manage the flames. As much as I like a good char on the ribs, I keep one side of the grill medium and the other HOT. I swap back and forth to manage the cooking. I like the ribs medium rare - I find this flat cut of ribs does not really need the slow 5-6 hour cooking that so many short ribs (very thick, English cut) might enjoy.

After about 10 minutes cooking, start slavering on the BBQ sauce, now flipping every 30-60 seconds, to manage the heat on the sweets sauce - too long on one side will burn the sauce.

I know cooking ribs is like religion, so you cook it the way you believe. I cooked about another 15-20 minutes, turning and basting often. I end with a good major slathering and then remove the ribs to a cutting board. Cut ribs apart and plate.

Serves 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment