About Me

My photo
Welcome to flexitarian cooking. A fusion of global flavors with lots of plants, some seafood and a bit of meat now and again.



Thursday, February 7, 2008

Come Here To Cook

What's for dinner? This is perhaps the most frightening question asked every day across the world. What an unnecessary cause of tension and stress.
I subscribe to the philosophies of some of the best chefs around like Jacques Pepin, Nigel Slater, Cheryl Merser, Mark Bittman and Rachel Ray [and many others!] who promote good, simple, fresh but fast foods. These cooks shatter the mythology that there is a mystery and complexity behind good cooking. As Slater admonishes, after all "... we are only making ourselves something to eat." Cooking a good meal doesn't have to be complicated - a simple meal can be easy and fast to prepare. And I recognize the research that underscores the value in a family gathering once a day for conversation, interaction and a bit of noshing around a table.

So relax. We're here to help.

This blog is all about what to have to eat and how to get some great food on the table relatively fast so the family can spend time together around the table [almost?] every day. OK, so there's soccer and squash, saxophone and riding - I know, I know. But if you really want to hang onto the family dinner as a core tradition in your home, you can do it!

And the family may be just the two of you - or more. Sitting down together eating, laughing debating and feeding the cats is a wonderful experience whether for two or for a dozen.

Here are my ideas and strategies and an ongoing log of experiences. I hope some of them help you enjoy food more, build stronger relationships and experience some new flavors and combinations.

2 comments:

  1. "Amazing and brilliant," says a nurse from Boston. One of my New Year's resolutions is to cook a new recipe once a week, and for a busy grad student, it's been a challange just to find recipes. Search no more- This is a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric you are a genius! I had no idea! This blog may just be one I will spend time on (of the many out there calling my attention). Thank you!

    And,oh, cousin - I never really looked at the top of your head before. It's very nice! :-)

    From your very adoring cousin, who is brought to smiles every time she thinks of you! :-)

    ReplyDelete